Former Home and Finanice Minister Chidambaram, accompanied with his team of lawyers and Congress leaders, addressed a press conference at the Congress headquarters in New Delhi on Wednesday.
10 important points from Chidambaram’s Press Briefing:
- “I believe that the foundation of a democracy is liberty, most precious article of the constitution is Article 21 that guarantees life and liberty. If I’m asked to choose between life and liberty, I shall unhesitatingly choose liberty.
- “To win freedom we must struggle. To preserve freedom too we must struggle.
- “In the INX media case I have not been accused of any offence. Nor is any one else, including any member of my family, been accused of any offence. “In fact there is no charge sheet filed by either the CBI or the ED before a competent court.
- “Moreover the FIR recorded by the CBI does not impute to me any wrongdoing.
- “Yet there is a widespread impression that grave offences have been committed by and that my son and I have committed that offences. Nothing can be further from the truth. “These are lies spread by pathological liars.
- “I was granted interim protection by the High Court.
- “I was Aghast that I was accused of hiding from the law, on the contrary I was seeking the protection of the law.
- “I was accused of running away from justice. On the contrary i was engaged in the pursuit of justice.
- “I was working alongside my lawyers the whole of the night preparing the papers for the appeal.
- “I will respect law even if applied with an unequal hand by probe agencies. Until Friday and beyond, let’s hope the lamp of liberty will shine bright and illuminate the whole country.
Kapil Sibal, Abhishek Manu Singhvi, Vivek Tankha and Salman Khurshid were present during the meeting. Also present were Ghulam Nabi Azad and K.C. Venugopal.
(With Inputs from The Hindu)